Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Now Taking Applications

So I loved A Million Miles in a Thousand Years so much that I decided to go back and read all of Donald Miller's books. And I started at the beginning. Through Painted Deserts. There were a couple of reasons that I decided to reread this one first. I mean I definitely picked it because I love road trip books and road trips themselves. And the other reason I picked it is because I've had moving and leaving on my mind a lot recently. Donald Miller is from Texas. Just like me. And he takes off on a journey with his buddy, Paul. to the Grand Canyon and ultimately to Oregon. I think my life is beginning to look eerily like his. I, too, am feeling the call to Oregon (see my last blog). After working there this summer, I see myself living out the rest of my days there. But that's besides the point.

I am a single man. I have been all my life. I think about having a girlfriend quite a bit. Probably too much to be honest. And I think about marriage and living my life with a woman for a large part of my life. I guess all guys do to an extent. Again, I may do this more than others. I'm a romantic. I guess it's in my genes.

So I'm reading Through Painted Deserts and Don asks his friend, Paul, what he wants in a girl. They're driving through Oklahoma at the time. And Paul's response mirrors exactly what I want in my lady. Here's what he says:

"I guess I'm looking for what any guy is looking for. I want a companion, you know. Just someone to share life with. I want her to be my biggest fan and I want to be her biggest fan too. I want us to raise kids in a home where they know their parents are in love with each other and with them. I guess that's all I want."

It's all I want as well. I just want someone I can enjoy the pleasures of life with. I'm just waiting for her to get her act together and come find me! Haha!

...kidding

2 comments:

Sarah said...

i do love that book.

good quote

Anonymous said...

I found your blog. I must say it is rather interesting.