Monday, September 28, 2009

The Dream

So last night we had a huge Mexican Fiesta over here at Mac 1048. It was a lot of fun. There were like six of us in our tiny little kitchen making beans, rice, tortillas, and other taco/burrito stuff. It was a wonderful time filled with friends, food, and great times. We watched a documentary called Jesus Camp which I could write a whole blog about. Maybe another time.

But as we were all cooking the subject of Portland came up. Right now there are five of us, myself included, that are seriously considering Oregon as the next step in our journey after we graduate. And the five of us all happened to be in the kitchen at that time. So Daniel, Leah, John, Anna, and I were all sitting there dreaming of Oregon and talking about all the things we would do there. Daniel and I talked about getting jobs and about the possibility of me crashing at one of my camp friend's houses until I was making money and going to seminary and such.

Well Daniel and I began talking about ministry in Portland. I know from experience, that it is screaming for God. It is a wonderful place that's for sure, but it is also a very secular place. A place crying out for change. For revival. And I was talking about what I thought God was calling me to. And the answer for me has always been, "I'm not sure yet. I'm waiting to see what He nails down for me." I think I may have been given a glimpse last night. Daniel began talking about he and I getting jobs with the City of Portland. Possibly in Human Resources so we can really get a feel for what the people of Portland need and how they act. Then he said that maybe we could use this experience to start a ministry to meet the needs that we realize need to be met.

And I realize that all of this is hypothetical and none of it is set in stone at all, but I got really excited. More excited than I've been in a long long time. And my soul was bursting with joy and happiness at this thought. It's what I want to do. I desire this. I long for it. I wanted to just go run to my car and drive to Oregon at that moment. And I think that God intended for that conversation to take place. I think that I got a taste of what He has for me. Because, like I said, nothing has ever gotten me that excited and pumped before.

I'm very excited to see what God has in store for me.
For you.
For us.

It's a scary thought, but also one that brings thoughts of adventure and forging new paths. It's exciting. I can't wait to be on my way.

3 comments:

ANNA-ELYSE said...

I agree. I can't wait to be in Oregon. If I could go now I would. I love when plans make you so excited and you know somehow (like the penguins that Donald Miller talks about) that that is a glimpse of what Gods doing. Like it's a different excited than normal and you just know it's God. I don't know if that made sense. But I'm pumped

Richard Skaggs said...

You two, you and Anna, amaze me! I am just simply blown away by your depth of relationship with my Lord and so very, very proud of you. To you both, you are my heros in so many ways. Proud to be your Dad. I love you!
now,....how do you dress up the blog so freakin' nice....mine needs a little....help your ol dad would you?

Sarah said...

1. "ill be on my way, if i can go the distance. I'll be there someday, if i can be strong." a lil quote from my friend Hercules.

2. I'm in. 100%. there is a Brideway HC planting project in Portland. I want to go to there.

3. i'm glad your my friend.